Can I File a Lawsuit if I Slipped and Fell on a Wet Surface in a Public Building?

Unfortunately, many people slip and fall on wet surfaces and are taken to emergency rooms every year. These incidents can happen anywhere, including in government buildings. Public buildings have a right to keep visitors safe, which means they should keep all floors dry, properly maintained and free from any dangerous conditions. Therefore, if you have sustained damages from that incident, you have the right to file for legal compensation with the assistance from the Los Angeles slip and fall attorney at Salamati Law Firm.

These accidents can easily happen in buildings that are run by the state, federal or local government. For instance, people can have accidents at the library, post office, county hospital, motor vehicle administration or the police department. Injury claims against public buildings should be dealt with immediately. Moreover, different types of government agencies require different claim forms and have different deadlines for filing the claim.

If you do not fill out the correct claim document and send it to the right place before the deadline, your claim will fail regardless of the branch of government where the incident occurred. This is where an attorney comes in. An experienced one will guide you from the start until the end where you will get your compensation.

Floors with spilled liquids are so hazardous and can be difficult to see. That is why public buildings need to display prominent signage that shows the floors have spills. Moreover, you can make a claim if you have sustained injuries on a damp or drenched floor because of someone’s negligence. Negligence is when the property owners, staff or employees failed to execute their duty of care. For instance, not putting up adequate signage on damp floors to warn visitors who are legally there is considered negligence and you can receive monetary compensation. Some of the factors affecting the monetary value of such accidents may include:

The type of injury

Severe injuries result in expensive medical bills, a lot of lost income and more permanent effects. Therefore, the casualty has a higher chance of getting more compensation compared to one who has sustained minor injuries.


Many cases heavily rely on photos, witness testimonies and the security footage of the incident. Medical bills and documents showing lost wages are also important and can impact the settlement value. Evidence helps to strengthen your case.

The compensation that victims are paid by liable parties include economic and non-economic damages. Economic losses include medical expenses, medications, long-term care, lost wages and therapy. On the other hand, non-economic losses include emotional damage and suffering, physical pain and suffering such as chronic pain, loss of self-esteem and loss of consortium. If you want to prove non-economic losses, you would need to provide documents such as therapists’ notes, doctor’s notes, medical prognosis, personal journal detailing the pain and the medical bills.


If you lost your balance in a public building because of the property owner’s negligence, you are entitled to compensation. After the accident, you should seek medical assistance, gather evidence if you are able to and then contact your lawyer for assistance. The process of filing for claims against the government should be handled by experienced attorneys who will make it easier for you to win.

Hank Pedro
the authorHank Pedro