Imagine you are at your friend’s birthday party where everybody is drinking. You also drink a few sips of alcohol, thinking you would not be affected by such a small amount. However, this is one mistake that causes 29 deaths every day in the United States alone. Drunk driving accidents are more common than you think. People who think they can handle themselves often cannot.
Drunk driving accidents are 100% preventable if one is careful and should not be forgiven. You deserve justice if you have been injured by a drunk driver and acquired damages because of their negligence. Speak to a Hillsville Auto Accident Lawyer and know your legal options.
Steps to take after a drunk driver has hit you
Being hit by a drunk driver in Hillsville can be extremely disturbing. You should not have to go through losses because of someone else’s carelessness when you were careful on the road. The law will certainly help you get justice, but there are a few things you can do yourself to speed up the process.
- See if anyone needs medical help and call the ambulance.
- If your vehicle is movable, try to move it to a safer side of the road.
- If the driver tries to flee from the accident scene, gather as much evidence as possible. For example, you could record a video of them driving away.
- Call law enforcement and work with them by narrating the events of the scene.
- Ask the police officers to provide you with a copy of the police report or ask them how to get one.
- Once you are done, get medical care as soon as possible. You should still go to the doctor even if you do not have visible injuries.
- Once you have addressed your medical needs, it is time to address your legal needs. Work with an attorney to discuss your case and options.
- Do not agree to make any statements, recorded or not.
- Avoid posting anything about the accident on social media.
What happens after you get hit by a drunk driver?
Drunk drivers are careless and reckless and should be punished for their negligence. You are entitled to damages if you get hit by a drunk driver. The driver should pay for the damages you would not otherwise have if the accident had not occurred. These include:
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Loss of consortium
- Diminished earning capacity
- Funeral expenses
There are several other damages that you might be entitled to according to the circumstances of your accident. Speak to an attorney to understand the full scope of your damages.
If the case you are facing is DUI related then also have a look at https://www.newjerseycriminallawattorney.com/dui-drunk-driving/ as they have some useful information.